[KCIX-Members] Short introduction, plus IPv6 exchange interface configurations

Kevin Hodle kevin.hodle at 1and1.com
Thu Jun 24 15:02:50 EDT 2010

Greetings KCIX participants,

    This is my first mail to the list, so I will briefly introduce
myself. I am a member of the 1&1 Internet global Wide-Area/Backbone
network engineering team, and one of my key areas of expertise is
peering and IP interconnection. Performing these services for a global
backbone that strives for dense interconnection has given me a lot of
insight into the operation of IXP's around the world, both large and
small. As a native Kansas City resident and large scale backbone
operator I jumped at the oppurtunity to volunteer design ideas, and
implement IXP best common practices for the KCIX switching and
route-server infrastructure to ensure the KCIX is and will remain a
scalable and secure platform for networks of all sizes to interconnect
and exchange traffic.

    With the above in mind, I would be happy to answer any technical
questions that any KCIX members might have regarding eBGP configuration,
announcement and filtering best practices, configuration techniques, or
even questions regarding peering in general.

    As Aaron announced in an earlier post, KCIX is now fully IPv6
enabled, including a dual-stack route-server! This is most definitely an
exciting development, and Hurricane Electric's presence on the exchange
is a great opportunity for many KC network operators to get a native
IPv6 transit feed at no charge. I hope you are all eagerly configuring
your exchange interfaces for dual stack :) That said, I would request
that anyone planning on turning up IPv6 sessions on the KCIX exchange
fabric please disable IPv6 router advertisements, SLAC (stateless
auto-config) and/or IPv6 router solication/discovery on your exchange
interfaces (Although the last 2 should be disabled by default on most
routing platforms). This will help prevent any unintended IPv6
forwarding on the exchange fabric as well as keeping unnecessary packet
flooding to a minimum. You are free to run neighbor discovery if you
like, as long as your timers are within sane boundaries :)

Disabling router advertisements can be achieved with the following
interface level commands:

Cisco
-----

cisco(config-if)#ipv6 nd ra suppress

Brocade/Foundry
---------------
SSH at brocade(config-if-e1000-1/1)#ipv6 nd suppress-ra

Juniper
-------

(IPv6 router discovery and router advertisement are disabled by default,
you can verify with the following show commands):

ssh at juniper> show configuration protocols router-advertisement
(no output)

ssh at juniper> show configuration protocols router-discovery
(no output)

Best regards, and thanks for peering!
Kevin Hodle

--
|| Kevin Hodle  |  Network Engineer (WAN)
|| 1&1 Internet Inc.  (AS8560)
|| 10950 Strang Line Rd, Lenexa, KS 66215, USA
|| (610)-560-1637 (Voice)  (610) 560-1631 (fax)

PGP key    | fingerprint
0x803F24BE | 1094 FB06 837F 2FAB C86B E4BE 4680 3679 803F 24BE